Deadline to submit a proposal – 8th September
Expression of Interest for Café Services at Riverbank Arts Centre, Newbridge, Co. Kildare
Applicants are advised to read the description in full and refer to the details in the description when making a submission.
All interested parties are requested to treat all information which may be gained in the course of this process in the utmost confidentiality, and not disclose any such information to any person or company not directly concerned with the response to this document. In addition, Kildare County Council agrees to treat all information provided in relation to this document as strictly private and confidential.
Expression of Interest
Kildare County Council invites expressions of Interest from suitably qualified and experienced catering companies or individuals for the opportunity to operate the café within Riverbank Arts Centre.
Background & Summary
Riverbank Arts Centre comprises of a theatre, 2 galleries and the café and bar. The building opened as a cultural amenity in March 1999. Riverbank Arts Centre is located on Newbridge Main Street at W12 D962. The building is shared with Kildare Library and Arts Service and circa 30 people work on site daily.
Riverbank Arts Centre, the municipal arts centre for County Kildare, consists of 180 seat theatre with Box Office facilities in the entrance foyer and administrative offices on the top floor. The café area is located on right hand side of the building and is accessible through its own separate entrance and through the theatre foyer. As such it is an integrated, shared space, belonging to the arts centre, rather than a separate location in the building, and hence a key element to the arts centre.
Contact Name & Email
Anne Myler, Senior Executive Librarian
Commencing Autumn 2022. The contract is offered for an initial one-year period with a 6-month review.
Riverbank Arts Centre attracts approximately 25,000 visitors annually.
Catering Requirements & Objectives
The café area is located in the arts centre. It is important that anyone providing these services takes into consideration the fact that the café is not a separate location, and by its very nature as a shared space, is effectively part of the arts centre and a key element in that side of the building.
Daytime Café Service:
Daytime services are required at a minimum of 6 days per week Monday-Saturday 10am-3pm with a minimum offering of hot and cold beverages and a selection of fresh pastries and snacks. On rare occasion, services may be required for special events on Sundays, these will always be highlighted well in advance.
Evening Café Service:
Evening services are required to support the performances in the arts centre on average 3 evenings per week. These services are typically required 1 hour before curtain up, 7-8pm, with occasional requirements for interval refreshments. The minimum offering remains the same as daytime, with the addition of wine for evening performances. Riverbank Arts Centre is a fully licensed venue
Catered events take place on average twice per month for the opening of an exhibition or a reception for a special event. These are usually just wine/soft drinks but in some cases snacks or a light lunch is required. Expected numbers are always known in advance for arts centre events and exhibitions.
Health and Safety:
All prospective contractors prior to commencement of operation must have:
• Copy of Employers Liability Insurance Certificate
• Copy of Public Liability Certificate
• Copy of Food Hygiene Certificate
• Copy of their Health & Safety Policy
The café provider will be bound to ensure, where required, that staff members attend appropriate H&S training sessions relevant to the operation of Riverbank Arts Centre. The café provider must comply with all aspects of the Health & Safety policy and programme in force at Riverbank Arts Centre, including the fire safety and evacuation procedures.
The current capacity in the café area is circa 50 covers indoors and there is outdoor decking surrounding the café that allows for the possibility of patrons sitting outside when the weather is good.
Café fixtures and fittings:
The building and its fixtures and fittings are the property of Kildare County Council.
Kildare County Council will be responsible for the provision and maintenance of heating and ventilation systems and for the maintenance and servicing of the kitchen’s fitted equipment and fixtures.
Terms and Conditions
The successful candidate will:
- Operate the cafe in a professional and flexible manner that will closely reflect and complement the Riverbank Art Centre’s work and ethos
- Run the café as an integral part of the theatre, enhancing the daytime experience of the visitor to the arts centre, with a particular emphasis on a family friendly environment during the day.
- Offer value for money and a quality product
- Offer a reliable, family/arts friendly service, ensuring all visitors to the theatre whether visiting artists, café customers, ticket purchasers or contractors are made to feel welcome
- Work collaboratively with the management and staff of the Riverbank Arts Centre in the best interests of centre and the café
- Ensure that the Riverbank Arts Centre’s Health & Safety and Child Protection policies and procedures are respected at all times, in the interests of café staff and customers, as well as the theatres staff and public
Expressions of Interest will be assessed in reference to the above guidelines. Submissions should include:
- Detailed information on the type of café offering proposed to include food/beverages/eat-in/take-out options.
- Your company’s experience to date
- Proposed opening hours
- Proposed pricing structure (food, soft drinks, tea & coffee, etc.)
- Proposed staffing and management structure
- Vision for engaging with Riverbank Arts Centre
- Names and contact details for two references, one of whom should be your most recent employer/leaseholder.
The successful applicant will be obliged to provide an up-to-date Tax Clearance Cert prior to commencement
How to Apply
Expressions of Interest received via Submit.com will be assessed in reference to the guidelines and the listed objectives & requirements included in this document. A visit to the facilities/kitchen can be arranged by contacting Anne Myler, as above.
The deadline for applications is 5pm 8th Sept 2022
Please submit your application via Submit.com